|Region||Lands of Purity|
|Founded||5 Hollow 8995 GE|
Iglutt is the oldest city of a region that angelic armies once called Phiyel. Since its construction many thousands of years ago, it has risen and fallen dozens of times, seeing the passage of many different races, and peoples good and evil. It has been added to many times resulting in a sprawling construction that is so big that much of it remains vacant, walled off to keep predators out. At the heart of this sprawl is a Covenant Holy Bastion. Built in the God Era, it is one of dozens that served as Covenant command and control centers; facing demon hordes spilling out of the Abyss.
Iglutt's central citadel is of dwarven construction. It is the work of construction battalions that served under Naraz-Nâru. They named it Iglutt in honor of one of their leader's sons that perished early in the Demon Spawn War. In addition to being an important Covenant base, the Iglutt bastion also served as the headquarters for the Quara'tun Judges.
Iglutt is sited in the upper eastern half of the Slafknara forest. At 3600' above the Pearl Sea, it is surrounded by towering evergreens, all resting on a bed of volcanic rich soil. In the Lith-Crillion Era, Mt. Bophungad tended to erupt northwards, at times swallowing the valley in fire and lava. By the Horgon Era, the volcano's explosions naturally shifted south with the sinking of the Guleddab basin. Since that time, those taking up residence in this ancient place have done very well raising crops.
Today, many of the city's population are descendants of those that sought refuge here in the Black Tide War (1465 - 1504), people of Vraga Moltus, Phanax, and other towns and villages that once pledged allegiance to the Farinteen crown.
The First Wall
Iglutt has a long history of war. It was built thousand years ago, long before the historical records organized and made widely known by Ermikel the Balance. In the First Epoch, the Zarakhâl clan, citizens of Narukgulan, built the first continuous wall around Iglutt. It was built to enclose a town that had been growing outward from the Covenant citadel. The base of this stout sixty foot high wall is equally thick, with blocks quarried under threat of stone giants and monsters, hauled hundreds of miles from Gûn's slopes.
In 736, the Zarakhâl were defeated by Apocalypse and his Graagvrii army. Apocalypse became the new owner of a mining town, a newly built wall, and the ancient Covenant bastion became his lair. Zarakhâl survivors fled into the tunnels beneath the great hall Taram-Bulak, never heard from again.
A decade later, a large tribe of goblins came to Iglutt in search of new living arrangements. To them the place looked like a ruin, with its new owner spending much time in slumber and his old army disbanded for cost. Just like the Graagvrii, these goblins soon fell to worshiping Apocalypse. Over the next 300 years, the dragon and the goblins amassed a vast hoard of treasure. The goblins called themselves the Great Host of the Wyrm. Today, the Great Host of the Wyrm are the tribes - Black Tongue, Bone Hand, Vulture Sons, Pack Rats, and the Crimson Nails; living in Anjald's deep crags behind vast cave networks, they number in the tens of thousands.
The goblins constructed a colossal circular building near Taram-Bulak as a home for their god Apocalypse. This granite iron-reinforced building is called the Iron Dragon. Today the Iron Dragon is the seat of power for the council rulers of modern day Iglutt. Iron Dragon is an engineering feat that seems beyond goblin known-how, standing some four hundred feet high and three hundred feet in diameter it is buttressed with heavy iron beams. Its inner chamber is 150' in diameter and with a lofty 100' high ceiling. The place has two great chutes that once served as entry and exit for the dragon's great mass. In the Black Tide War, Iron Dragon became the headquarters for the Scourge of Athena.
The Second Wall
In 1064, Iglutt was assailed by a thousand strong firbolg army. This barbarian horde was driven by a lust for war, encouraged by war priests serving Ares, they had had blazed a pass from Naggor's Retreat to the walls of a dragon in his waning days. Apocalypse, sodden with age and gluttonous from easy victories, was no match for the forces that came against him. Led by someone that was much like him in his younger days, Apocalypse was brought down by a hailstorm of arrows. Chieftain Naggor, the firbolg commander that led his band of Bushwhackers hundreds of miles plundering and burning villages and forts along the way. severing his head as another trophy of a string of then lay siege to the ancient dwarven walls of Taram-Bulak for three months. The goblins capitulated from hunger and loss of morale. The tattered remnants of the Great Host of the Wyrm, reduced to several hundred, were enslaved by Naggor's army. Later in the same year, Iglutt became the capital of the newly formed Kingdom of Naggor.
Under Naggor's reign, the firbolgs constructed the city's second great wall. These towering walls are the highest battlements in the city, towering 150' over the streets below. Built for giants, with openings tall and wide, it is beautifully built, some even saying rivaling the giant cities built in the Titan Era. Even though much of the back-breaking work was done by slaves, it is solidly built. The design, oversight and engineering work of Iglutt's second wall was done by the Grey Masons. These were stone giants behind the construction of Gudgrid and who's ancestors built the great sea fortifications of the Titans Triangle.
The Third Wall
In 1126, Naggor's vast slave population rose up against their oppressors. They were emboldened by a large Tungesti army, one crushing the kingdom's border outposts and each larger force that came against them. These Tungesti were from the Iraktharbhun Valley. Like the kingdom's firbolg, the free citizens, the Tungesti raiders were devout worshipers of Ares. Worshipping the same god doesn't always make you friends, especially not for a God of War. What is important for Ares is the way you go about doing it. Tungesti's battle priests said Ares was unhappy with Naggor's people, their soft sedentary ways, farming and city living, thus they must be re-taught the ways of their shared god.
Iglutt's Second Wall is often blamed for the fall of Iglutt and the Kingdom of Naggor. It was so large that it could not be fully garrisoned, with Naggor's personal chronicler often mentioning his king's complaining of the population's slow growth. Because of sizable maintenance costs, the walls were poorly maintained, making them easy to scale by people accustomed to living in the mountains. The Kingdom of Naggor ended when their long-time king died in the Iron Dragon's central hall. He was surrounded by the bodies of a hundred Tungesti warriors. Over his own stood his slayer, a storm giant named Dranfulmus. The conquerors hated the man, yet honored his combat prowess by erecting a towering 100' high statue of a giant red sword. This became the Red Sword monument, a war shrine dedicated to Ares.
Guided, but not led, by the titan Dranfulmus, the Tungesti ruled over Iglutt for the next four centuries. Like those before, they were drawn to this ancient place, giving up some of their rapine and pillaging to nation-building. In 1127, they established the Targad confederacy, one of dozens of Tungesti tribes, with Iglutt its capital.
Iglutt's Third Wall was built by the Targad. It is a wide wall, of varying heights like the peaks of a mountain range. The top of these unusually wide walls served as battlements and streets of commerce, with most of Targad's Tungesti population living atop them.
Targad held Iglutt until 1531. In this year, the Shields of Iraktharbhun became the city's new masters. Rather than be subjected to the rule of non-Tungesti, most of Targad's people fled east to their old lands in the Iraktharbhun Valley.
During the Black Tide's control of the Lands of Purity, Iglutt came to be a heavily fortified city-state with numerous political groups. It was the heart of resistance to the Black Tide of Thasmudyan. Some groups were extremely fanatical in nature (e.g. Righteous Arms of Athena), while others were pacifists, whom sought to keep peace with other civilizations. The majority of the population worshiped the deity Athena. With the Black Tide's defeat in the Athenian Crusade (1539 - 1551), Iglutt's more militant members move northwards to the area of Cildâph and the Tarkica forest, founding Rumakarrûs.
Today, Iglutt's Third Wall is polished white, with images of angelic figures, silver and gold dragons, and those used by the Scourge of Athena.
When Malacost was established, Iglutt became one of its holdings.