|Region||Lands of Purity|
|Founded||17 Bliss 1402|
In the Second Epoch, Helmstar was built as the Farinteen Empire's northern bulwark against marauders out of the Northern Hordelands. These marauders were largely Theegans of the Witch Horde, long-range goblin war parties out of Pellangoth, and the most uncompromising of them all, Zyrath's gnolls. Not surprisingly, in time of peace they traded heavily with the Theegans and Githzerai home to the Kuli-Cir Forest. Like today, most of the trade north and south into Kuli-Cir and northward is by way of the Rap'run.
In the Black Tide War (1465 - 1504), Helmstar fell to the legions of undead running amok across the Lands of Purity. Strategically located, with a harbor on the Galathien, it became the heart of Black Tide operations as they pushed deeper into the region. It was central processing for bodies collected for reanimation, feeding the Dead Council's war machine.
Liberated in the Athenian Crusade (1539 - 1551), Helmstar voted against becoming a state of Malacost. It was a decision based on the urging of holy crusader orders based out of Rumakarrûs and the Lurans; militant types on the more zealous side of the Athenian Schism.
In 1823, still an independent city-state, Helmstar was sacked by the Witch Horde. In the Buruthran War (1824 - 1829 ), soldiers of the Luran Alliance liberated Helmstar from the "barbarians". At the conclusion of this war in 1829, Helmstar became a holding of the Divine Empire.
Helmstar does a lot of commerce and fishing on Galathien. It also has a substantial navy that patrols the seas by night, ever watchful for Underdark raiders coming up by way of the Vortices of Khushnír.