|Built||30 Bloom 212 LE|
Herthjof was founded by traders out of Joldanrek. It was built as a market for dealing with those uncomfortable with the region's conditions, primordial sand worms, the Winds of Golruwyrm and skin-ripping sandstorms. As the place grew in importance, the Knudmid took over administration and security. By the eve of the Stone Curse, Herthjof had a population of 20,000, and was recognized as an independent city-state. As the Knudmid passed away, their civilization nearly wiped out by the Stone Curse, governance became more democratic. In the Horgon Era, this shifted to petty dictatorships under Toomrur warlords. By the Second Epoch, the Knudmid had recovered as a people. Under their influence, Herthjof has remained a very stable republic to this day.
Underneath Herthjof are a dozen underground cisterns. Always overflowing, the excess continues down canals through and past the city into mountain tunnels. An engineering marvel, the spillways are part of a water collection system greatly assisted by magical devices and rifts. Begun in the Lith-Crilion Era, it was grand project of the Lith-Crillion working out of the Pyramid of Life, the goal was to green the land east of the city. Around 1000 LE, the Knudmid lost faith in the Lith-Crillion, ending all work on the project. The only "greening" part finished are the southern mountain tunnels that serve as the headwaters of the Spring of Herthjof.